Italian Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs
Make spaghetti night extra special with the Big Green Egg.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, black pepper and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 12 balls. Cover and store in the refrigerator until needed.
Italian Spaghetti Sauce Ingredients
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, divided, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Italian Spaghetti Sauce Instructions
Set the EGG for direct cooking at 350°F/177°C. Add a cast iron skillet to preheat, then sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil until the onion is translucent. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, salt and bay leaf, breaking up any large chunks of tomato. Simmer 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomato paste, basil and pepper. Add the meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more. Serve alone or over pasta.